Chapel Hill Town Council
2021 Campaign Platform
My Vision for Chapel Hill:
A sustainable community that balances economic vitality, social equity, and environmental protection.
As an elected official, I maintain a deep commitment to identifying and addressing systemic barriers to full inclusion and representation in Town decision-making.
I work hard to understand the perspectives and unique needs that exist within our diverse community and to ensure that inclusivity and equity are key pillars in our process.
My vision for Chapel Hill requires comprehensive planning and investment across multiple domains that are critical for sustained success.
If re-elected, I will prioritize the following elements:
- Increase affordable and “missing middle” housing options through innovative public-private partnerships.
- Leverage Town-owned land to reduce the cost for new affordable housing construction.
TRANSIT & CONNECTIVITY
- Continue to plan for the new North-South Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line.
- Expedite investments that increase connectivity of our greenways, sidewalks and bike paths to make it easier – and safer – to leave your car at home.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT & WELL-PAYING JOBS
- Implement the post-COVID REVIVE plan that invests in small local businesses and marketing our unique downtown.
- Approve development of flexible office and wet lab space to retain and grow innovative start-ups that hire local talent.
EQUITY & COMMUNITY SAFETY
- Fund and implement the recommendations of the Re-imagining Community Safety Task Force, which focus on eliminating structural inequities in Town public safety systems.
- Redesign community engagement approaches to ensure equitable input so that all stakeholders are represented in Town decision making.
CLIMATE RESILIENCY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
- Establish new policies, incentives, regulations and partnerships that impact our two largest greenhouse gas emissions sectors – buildings and transportation.
- Update the Town’s stormwater management regulations to ensure use of state-of-the-art methods, including green stormwater infrastructure, low-impact design, and other flood protection technology.
- Increase access to recreation and green spaces along with upgrades to park and playground facilities, including installation of a new splash pad.
- Strengthen collaboration with Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools to ensure year-round youth programming is available to all.
COMPREHENSIVE & SUSTAINABLE LAND USE PLANNING
- Revise the out-dated Land Use Management Ordinance to allow the type of comprehensive land use policy we need now that can address equity, smart growth, connectivity, and climate change mitigation.
- Prioritize transit-oriented and infill development to prevent sprawl and protect the rural buffer.
I look forward to continuing my work on the Town Council — with thoughtful approaches, and new, creative tools.